It is official - System Center Opalis has now been renamed to System Center Orchestrator. SCORCH! The Microsoft main page has not been changed yet but I'm sure its soon enough. http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/opalis.aspx
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Just finished the Keynote Day 2. Here are my cliff notes:
- Announcing System Center Configuration Manager Beta 2 to Public
- Ability to manage and control Windows, iPhone, iPad, Symbian and Android mobile devices
- Ability to report on inventory, status, on the mobile devices and even remotely wipe out the phone in the event of a lost phone
- Ability to deploy Citrix XenApp and Microsoft App-V applications
- Management of users devices can now be done from a single pane
- Superceding feature - ability to automatically uninstall an application when installing a new version
- Self Service Catalog for users to pick and choose applications to be installed on their computers
- Ability to manage Citrix Xen Desktop
- Extending inventory items now easily done via console instead of having to modify smsdef.mof
- Auto deployment rules can be configured to automatic download of updates and deploy.
- Announcing Forefront Endpoint Protection will now be part of Core CAL
- Announcing the inclusion of Microsoft Bitlocker Administration and Monitoring as part of the MDOP Suite
- Announcing MMS2012 will be April 16 - 20 back at the VENETIAN, Las Vegas!
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Just attended the first keynote of MMS2011 with Brad Anderson. Here are some cliff notes of what was announced:
- Announcement and showcase of System Center Project Concero
- A Web Based management tool directed at managing private and public clouds
- Providing self service to application owners to manage their own cloud infrastructure from a cloud, VM or service model perspective.
- Provides the ability to view both infrastructures on the Private Cloud and those hosted on Azure
- Unique management perspective in managing the infrastructure "Services" rather than servers/VMs.
- Will have built in integration with Service Manager that provides the self service portal to request for change and additional resources to the Admin
- Announcement of Sytstem Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 Beta
- Will have support for Xen, VMWare, Hyper-V. Possibly the only one in the market that has cross platform hypervisor management support
- Ability to manage load balancers as part of the service
- ability to discover bare metal computers through protocols like IPMI and DCMI and provision OS and VMs
- VMM Service Template function - kind of like a recipe of what makes up an application service. could be mixing OS, applications etc.
- Ability to seperate the OS and the Application so that there is no dependency. This will allow admins to update Operating Systems individually and keep lesser images; patch them seperately from the application.
- Ability to virtualize the Application via Server App-V to achieve the seperatino of App and OS. Deployment can then be seemless for multiple environments so as not neccessary to keep multiple sets of images.
- Announcing System Center Operations Manager Project 2012
- Will include Network Device monitoring out of the box
- Ability to show the connections between the network device and the servers
- Dashboards provides views such as network device average response time etc
- will have deep integration with AVICODE (Application Monitoring)
- Announcing Project Atlanta is now officially knowned as System Center Advisor
- Provides Configuration Change Management for supported applications and OS
- At launch will support SQL, Windows Server, Hyper-V, AD
- Agents installed on servers, report the configuration data up to the Advisor cloud service
- Rules available to check configuration against best practices, known issues, knowledgebase
- Responses back to the customer could be best practice advisory, hotfixes for known configuration issues
- Tracks configuration change for the servers
- Licensing: FREE if you have Software Assurance on the related App/OS
Saturday, March 12, 2011
Want a FREE TechNet subscription? Well.. quickly go take a Microsoft Virtualization exam and.. well.. PASS it! Offer is for first 1000 only! between March 1 - June 30 2011
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
About a week ago, a new superflow documentation was released. This is the App-V deployment Superflow. Highly useful document if u need a step by step guide to install the App-V componentt. Flowcharts are provided to showcase the steps process.